Wednesday, March 1

You

Uninvited, the thought of you stayed too late in my head.
So I went to bed, dreaming you hard, hard, woke with your name,
like tears, soft, salt, on my lips, the sound of its bright syllables
like a charm, like a spell.


Falling in love is glamorous hell:
the crouched, parched heart
like a tiger, ready to kill; a flame’s fierce licks under the skin.

Into my life, larger than life, you strolled in.

I hid in my ordinary days, in the long grass of routine,
in my camouflage rooms. You sprawled in my gaze,
staring back from anyone’s face, from the shape of a cloud,
from the pining, earth-struck moon which gapes at me

as I open the bedroom door.
The curtains stir.
There you are
on the bed, like gift, like a touchable dream.


Carol Ann Duffy

6 comments:

GhostOfTomJoad said...

Refer to the new comment against your earlier post :-) And, of course, you can tell me where to get off :-)

Nessa said...

You din't find Boy 2 yet, I see.. Read some happy pomes instead :)

Achha, my dog naa? Dead and stuffed is perfect!! I just want to ask him why he's changed so much... :(

heretic said...

Damn nice of you to put this up. Now, get some good ole odgen nash so the mood around these parts is brighter. :-)

Mistral Noir said...

thank you for posting duffy, i love her, have you read Valentine?

ether said...

Ghost~ Yeah, final tangible closure happened. I don't think there's going to be sop around here from now on.

Nessa~ Who's this dog you're talking about? I'm real curious ya! But you're a sweetheart, and I've already drawn you a dog. Will put it up for you soon.

heretic~ Ya, I know, we need brighter stuff around here. So I've put two oranges up there! Nash will follow soon. I lowes him.

Madhur~I could say the same to you. Thank you for posting Duffy.

Nessa said...

No direct offense to the male species in general, but the dog is to signify all of them collectively... Every man in every woman's life.. It could also signify the Boy?